Production Volume

I read this blog about how you should test using volume comparable to production. Big hard disks cost little these days right? Wrong. Well yes some el cheapo hard disk can be found for a bargain. However that disk will never match the characteristics of our production server box.

Now I don't know all the details. But we have a massive box to run our production system. There is probably something like 128 processors on the darn thing. And there is more RAM in there than you could find on a mainframe.

Don't get me started about the super speed disk array we got powering our database. But I guess you get the point. You cannot compare your little bitty workstation with a production box. To do some is futile. I guess the only pearl of wisdom from the blog post I read was that you should not do tests if you only have a couple records in your tests tables. Point taken.